Thursday, October 4, 2007

This Is Your Brain On Hockey


Lets get it on

There are only two times a year that really get the hairs on my neck standing up. One is when the big jolly guy in the red suit makes his way down my chimney and the other is the start of the NHL season.

It was a little touch of heaven Wednesday night when I was able to flip on OLN and catch a little of the Ducks/Red Wings game. My two year old daughter was quite the happy soul too, shouting as she pointed at the television screen, "hockey, hockey" (man, am I proud of her).

But Eww, it hurts a bit

Watching the second half of the doubleheader put a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Seeing Ryan Smyth setting up shop behind the net, and placing a perfect pass on Joe Sakic's stick blade made me cringe. Considering the type of players Garth Snow brought in this off-season, Ryan Smyth would have fit right in.

Fortunately, the pain didn't last too long as I quickly drifted off to sleep.

Things come full circle

How great would it be if Bryan Berard actually becomes an integral part of the Islanders this year? I am so excited for the guy. He has been through a lot in his career and we should all be pulling for him. I can't imagine doing anything without the use of one of my eyes, yet this guy is playing the fastest game on earth without missing a beat. Hopefully he will be signed, sealed, and delivered fairly soon.

Radek, Radek, Radek

Is there a more unsung hero on this team than Radek Martinek? I was quite elated to read on newyorkislanders.com that he was signed to an extension. The guy doesn't make much noise off the rink, but man can you notice him on it.

Looking Ahead

It's about 3:30 now and I am just about to leave work. I can't believe I will plopping my tush on the couch tonight, flipping on the television, and watching the first Isles game of the season. The weather sure feels like summer, but man am I ready for some hockey!

Enjoy the game tonight......and GO ISLANDERS!

Michael

No comments: